Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Marriage

Valentine's Day of this year marked my parents' 44th wedding anniversary. Growing up, I do not ever remember seeing them fight. Maybe this is because they've known each other since they were 15 and 18. Maybe they're just an anomaly. Maybe they got all their bumps out of the way in the 12 years before I was born. I don't know. (Mom, feel free to comment and divulge the secret of your success.)

What I do know is that most other relationships I've seen don't hold a candle to theirs. This makes me proud of them, but also terrified for the institution of marriage. Has it lost its luster, or what?

In my quest for answers and solace, I stumbled across a couple of interesting articles/posts I thought I'd share.

Don't be fooled by the title of this one, it has a positive spin.
Marriage: It's only going to get worse

Oprah's site had some good suggestions:
Be Nice, Don't Nitpick

I guess maybe we all just have to adjust our expectations a bit. Admit that we're all flawed—and try accept one another as human beings. Or at least communicate productively about the things we can't accept. Maybe then instead of a 50% divorce rate, there would be more 50 year anniversary celebrations.

No comments: