Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It's Better to Be Laid On than Laid Off

Today was layoff day at my company. It was like they had turned the walkways into mine fields in the middle of the night—none of us wanted to leave the safety of our cubicles, for fear we'd be blown to bits.

We watched conference room doors open and close. Coworkers go in and out, whisked away by managers and HR people. I had a stomach ache all morning.

Thankfully, my head made it past the chopping block. But I realize that even if it hadn't, I'd be okay.

I've been laid off before and, although it seems like one of the scariest things a person could experience, it's not so bad once you get past the initial shock. Sure, it's a pain because at some point you have to look for a new job, but the day-to-day life of layoffdom has a bit of a sweet side.

Having firsthand knowledge of what it's like actually started to work against me as I waited for the news today. I kept having little romantic moments where I'd see myself traveling, going to the movies at noon, writing another novel draft, hiking in the middle of the week, comfortably collecting my unemployment checks. No! I had to keep snapping myself out of it. I like having a full-time job!

I'm really glad I wasn't on the hit list, but I must say, the paid vacation that comes with a layoff isn't the worst thing in the world. Hopefully my lucky let-go coworkers will enjoy it.

No comments: