Thursday, February 14, 2008

One for the History Books

My favorite Valentine's Day took place in the year 2000 when my college boyfriend and I were on hiatus. I'd been completely snot-wrenchingly depressed for two weeks, and Valentine's weekend marked not only our (I believe 3rd) anniversary, it had been reserved for a romantic trip to Napa. I was convinced there was absolutely no way I could possibly have a good time on February 14th.

Then two of my bestest girlfriends stepped in and saved the day.

One cooked dinner and even put wrapped Ghirardelli chocolate bars at our place settings. After a lovely meal, we headed to The Derby in Los Feliz for a night of swing dancing. None of us had a clue what we were doing, but once we got to the bar, we knew we'd picked the perfect night to learn. The Derby was teeming with single men, dying to teach novices how to swing. The duration of the night was spent tripping and twirling around with strangers, giggling uncontrollably. There's no way my ex and I would've had that much fun in Napa.

Until today, that night held the top spot in my Valentine's line-up.

But then, this morning, I was greeted by an instant message that said, "Happy Valentine's Day, Sunshine." And then, I came back to the office after running errands at lunch and was presented with a big, beautiful bouquet of lillies. And the day's not over yet. I think there may be a new contender for first place in the Valentine's Day race.

1 comment:

Diz said...

Except a stalker came and GOT me!