Friday, August 22, 2008

'Cause I'm a B-L-O-N-D

"You want a discount?" Rico Suave asked this afternoon, eyeing me up and down from behind the counter at Sport Chalet.

I assumed he was going to try to sell me on a store credit card. "These are already on sale, I don't need one," I politely declined.

"You a real blond?" he said. Which, now that I type it, makes me think he was being dirty and wondering if the carpet matched the drapes...if ya know what I'm sayin'...

"Yes," I answered. "It's darker than it was when I was a kid, so I highlight it. But it's real."

He looked to be Middle Eastern, with dark, curly hair and a tiny moustache and trimmed beard. "You a real brunette?" I shot back at him.

"Black, you mean, not brunette," he corrected me.

What do you call someone with black hair? Yellow hair is blond, brown hair is brunette, red heads are...well, red heads—does that mean I have to call someone a black head if they have charcoal hair? That just doesn't seem right...

Anyway, next he threw out, "Men find blonds very appealing, you know..."

I wasn't about to engage this guy and say something like, "Romeo, do you find me very appealing?" So instead I asked the next logical question that came to mind: "Is that because we're supposed to be stupid?"

That was the end of the conversation.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've always been called "black-haired" but also always given the option of brunette? That's confusing... And I think men like blondes b/c they're so sunny. :P

Michael C said...

Yep, you won that round. Well played. Very well played.

Hannah said...

Ha Ha. That's a good one.

Bretthead said...

So there is carpet?

Anonymous said...

What a rude question he asked? You should've asked him, if he was a real idiot or if that's just part of his game. Of course, I would've also talked to his manager or supervisor -- there's no excuse for that kind of customer service. Than again, I'm in a bitchy mood this week. No, even if I weren't in a bitchy mood I still would've reported him. Because I'm a bitch regardless of my mood.

Anonymous said...

Well it's a good thing I wasn't in line behind you! I would have blasted him. You were probably a bit "too nice"! And yes, I would have asked to speak to the manager also!

Anonymous said...

"men find blonds very appealing..." I dunno, The Ex was a blond. I think I'm kinda over the "blond" thing, if I ever had a "thing" to begin with... ;)

Mandy_Fish said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Mandy_Fish said...

P.S.

"Because I'm blonde, B-L-O-N-D!
Because I'm blonde, don't you wish you were me!"

Yes, some of us remember that song.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my...yesterday I saw the BEST shirt when we were in Ventura..it was Abercrombie and is said...

"BLOND is the new SMART" :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Wish I would have been with you. We could have had a fun time with that one. He would have been sorry to deal with both of us at once, or maybe that would have just turned him on more. I want that shirt that Tracy saw!

Anonymous said...

PS - I'm old enough to remember the Blond song too. Awesome.