Friday, September 19, 2008

What a Peach

One of the coolest places Mr. W and I went in Napa was the Greystone restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America. Former site of the Christian Brothers winery, the campus is perched above a beautiful vineyard in St. Helena.


We chose to sit outside, under the trees and heat lamps, looking out over Main Street. I was delighted when a French couple took the table next to us and began speaking in their native tongue—further amplifying the feeling that we were dining somewhere in Europe.


Mr. W and I both had delicious steaks that delighted the palate, however my first course of pimentos, almonds and manchego burned the crap out of my mouth. Not that there was crap in my mouth before I ate it... Anyway... We also discovered that the Greystone brand of wine is quite tasty—especially when paired with a slab of beef.


When it came time for dessert, I was giddy to see creme brulée on the menu. I love creme brulée. I love the sound it makes when you crack the sugary surface. I love the custardy taste and the smoothness of it as it slips down my throat. Mr. W ordered some sort of peach cobbler that was equally decadent, and as you can see from the picture, presented very nicely on the plate.

In fact, as soon as I saw his lovely cobbler presentation I said, "That dried peach looks like lips! Give it to me!" Thus solidifying my unwavering class and ability to fit in at any high brow establishment.

10 comments:

Bretthead said...

I don't get it. What did you do with the dried peach? Why did you end with just another pic of yourself?

Anita said...

How very Angelina looking of you! I LOVE Creme Brulee too. It's one of the top ones on my favorite dessert list among ice cream and red velvet cake. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! Well done.

Anonymous said...

I love your Melanie Griffith impersonation. I bet the French couple next to you were sorry they didn't bring their mime make-up. That would've made quite the night.

Hannah said...

You're so silly.
I am glad you had a good time.

Mandy_Fish said...

That picture looks really filthy.

(And I mean that as a compliment. Chuh.)

Lara Watkins said...

Classy, very classy. I'm sure the Frenchies were impressed.

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to bring the restaurant down a notch on behalf of all the rest of us regular folk.

brandy said...

That last photo? Love. ;)

Sosiesmama721 said...

Hysterical.