Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Clan

Mr. W emailed me a bunch of interesting tidbits he found today about his last name. Apparently he typed it into Wikipedia and learned all sorts of things about his possible ancestry...and possibly why he loves Italy so much. (He's Greek and Irish, but according to Wikipedia, he may have some very ancient ties to an Etruscan civilization).

After hearing this, I of course had to go on the site and type in my own name.

Have you ever done that?

It was surprisingly satisfying. I knew that I had a Scottish clan somewhere across the pond but I now know that my family was named for a clan that lived near the banks of the River Hether in Scotland. Pretty cool.

There was also a list on there of a bunch of famous Hetheringtons. Several Aussies, which I also found interesting.

If you're bored at work at 5:00 one day, I highly suggest looking up your own lineage. You might learn something fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No listing in Wikipedia. Maybe I don't exist and I'm just the figment of someone else's imagination?

Sosiesmama721 said...

Mine came up with nothing. Although when spelled a certain way - "Jagerbomb" came up. I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Anonymous said...

Other fun things to do when you have nothing better is to google image yourself. -Jane

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Ha - I love this. Only, my maiden name has nothing (we're a very small bunch) ... and my married name is directed to a town in Indiana (which I'm quite certain is not related). hahaha. Fun, nevertheless.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. My maiden name has a clan in Scotland, too! (well, the border area between England and Scotland). My married name isn't on it. BOO.