Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sighing With Relief

The week after Christmas, my sister's family went to New York and D.C. What an amazing time to be on the east coast.

In D.C., they were staying a mere 6 blocks from the Obama family's hotel and as they sat gathered around the TV on the night Barack landed in the city, they decided to bundle up and go stalk him as he arrived. They mingled with the press outside his hotel, and as his motorcade approached, they could see the President-elect inside his limo, waving to the crowd. I was so jealous when they told me this story.

In my lifetime, I have voted in 5 presidential elections. And with each passing election, I have felt my passion for politics steadily grow. Because with each one, it seemed there was more at stake. Particularly this time, it seemed our country's fate was weighing in the balance—would we continue down the same road we'd been treading for 8 years, or would we take a new path?

This morning, as I listened to the inauguration on the radio in the way into work, I felt like my heart was going to explode. I was so filled with joy and hope. I feel so ready to roll up my sleeves and do whatever our new commander deems necessary to fix our country. I am overwhelmed with excitement to be led by this man.

Although I didn't get to see him in person, waving from his limo, my nieces were nice enough to pick up a Barack Obama t-shirt for me while they were in D.C. I put it on this morning with great pride and unwaivering optimism that we are on a path to changing for the better.

10 comments:

Hannah said...

My heart has been racing all morning. I am just elated. And so happy to be led by Barack.

Happy New President Day!

Anonymous said...

I know!!!! It is such a great day today, isn't it? Sigh. FINALLY. It has been a really really really long eight years.

Anonymous said...

I recorded all the festivities and plan to watch when I get home tonight. Glad you got to hear some of it on your way into work this morning.

Anonymous said...

It has been quite a day!

My sister and her family were also in D.C. at Christmas and I was jealous of them simply standing next to the Obama cardboard cutout in their photos.

Anonymous said...

I've been SO HAPPY all day. We all watched at work and it was just incredible, moving, breathtaking. I wanted to be in DC so badly! -Jane

Bretthead said...

Yes, what you said!! I concur. Word. Amen!

Hope is powerful. Obama defines hope.

Anonymous said...

I cried off and on all day today, watching the events unfold. It was all so much more poignant, having just been there, seeing all the preparations being made, and seeing this great man, waving from his limo. It feels so good to be proud to be an American again.

Anonymous said...

I think so many people needed a day like today, including myself.

It is one of those memorable moments when we have a common focus. And how nice is it that it wasn't a war or other tragedy that gave us purpose!

Anonymous said...

I have never been so excited about an inauguration. In fact, I think this was the first one that I actually watched. It was so good to have something positive and uplifting on the television. I am full of hope.

megabrooke said...

such a truly special day.