Thursday, March 5, 2009

On the Heels of My Last Post

I found this very interesting article on iVillage and wanted to share it. There's a great quote right up front:

"As long as we raise our children, especially girls, to believe that marriage is the solution to life's problems and essential for personal happiness, we will continue to have many couples marrying with little appreciation for the true difficulties and complexities of married life."

Nieces: Marriage is not the solution in the quest for personal happiness.

6 comments:

Mandy_Fish said...

Yes.

And my second piece of advice would be: "Get a housekeeper, save your marriage."

Anonymous said...

No, it isn't.

My problem is that I've seen the good side. My parents were married in their early twenties, and have spent nearly 40 years together so far.

And knowing that I won't be able to do that is what really sucks sometimes.

Anonymous said...

No, traveling is the solution in the quest for personal happiness. :P And ice cream.
-Jane

Melissa Maris said...

Mandy - You crack me up.

GH - Think positive! Life expectancy is much better than it used to be. You could totally get 40 years with your little lady.

Jane - Amen sister!! You're a smart cookie.

Alysha said...

I agree! I think that is one of the main reasons that there are so many divorces. People expect an easy, happy and they lived happily ever after instead of realizing that marriage is work along with happiness.

Anonymous said...

yeah, because marriage is just a rest stop on life's college roadtrip. If marriage were the destination, I may be a lesbian.