Wednesday, August 12, 2009

La Pedrera, Apartment of My Dreams


La Pedrera is yet another Gaudi gem on the Barcelonian landscape. Its marshmallowy exterior is topped with a whimsical, almost surreal rooftop that feels somewhere between Whoville and an alien planet from Star Wars.



Inside the building, we got to tour an actual apartment—which was at least 4 bedrooms and included maid's quarters. It was huge. And gorgeously detailed. But the roof was the real showstopper. If you've seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona, you may remember Scarlett Johansson racing about on it.



To me, these guys looked just like stormtroopers. To a friend of mine on Facebook, they looked like...well, use your dirty imagination...



The museum in the attic had a range of models Gaudi constructed when designing the building. They were just about as incredible as the real thing.



Our next stop on Tour de Gaudi was Park Güell—a beautiful oasis that never quite got finished. It was supposed to be a housing development, but instead serves as the sort of "backyard" to two gingerbread-style gatekeeper's buildings and the Gaudi-House Museum.



The terrace is spectacular, with a hall of enormous columns supporting it, mosaic designs on the ceiling, and an expansive view of the city from its top.



Again, it felt like we were in a different land. Something a little less human, but a lot more alive.


Gaudi's salamander or serpent at the Park's entrance has become an icon in the city. He was certainly a cute little guy and everyone seemed to want their picture taken with him.



After a long, hot day of sightseeing, Mr. W and I couldn't resist one last round of tapas and beer. The Spaniards certainly know how to do their food right...

12 comments:

Mermanda said...

Now that is some architecture like none I have ever seen. And how could you not want your photo with that salamander? How cute.

laura said...

awesome. somehow when we were in Barcelonafor aday we never made it past shopping on Las Ramblas. Guess we have to go back.

Jane Monepenny said...

Okay, I figured it out. We both play the lottery. If either one of us wins, we help the other with more traveling!

Melissa Maris said...

Mermanda - I know - it's so unique. I would've posed with the salamander if he weren't drawing such a crowd.

Laura - I didn't know you guys went there! On the cruise? Maybe we all need to plan a trip back!

Jane - You are such a crack up! I think that's a fine idea. Or maybe we should just make a pact to meet somewhere exotic and fun!

Mandy_Fish said...

Unbelievable gorgeous!

I had no idea.

I'm supposed to be going to Madrid in October ... it will be my first time in Spain.

Whee!

Anonymous said...

So I take it you're not missing the LA strip mall yet? ;)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

The two times I've been to Barcelona, I stayed at a hotel just down the street from La Pedrera. From the rooftop of said hotel, I could see La Pedrera and dream. The architecture of Barcelona really is like a fantasy land.

Melissa Maris said...

Mandy - OOh! I can't wait to see your pictures! I'm all about taking a trip back now. I want to see Madrid and Seville.

Geekhiker - The only things I miss from LA are my Prius and the cats. :)

Nilsa - That's so cool! I would have loved to stay somewhere with a Gaudi view. Maybe you should post some pics on Facebook for me to see. :D

Amy Turpin said...

Love the last picture. All important things included...who cares about your faces...it's all about the beer!! Ha Ha - Looks YUMMY!!!

JennyMac said...

Oh...I love this and have been to this very place. I have been to Spain multiple times and enjoy so much of the culture. Really great photos! Hope you had the best time.

Alysha said...

Wow, you are skinnier than your beer. That's amazing.

Christina said...

My husband and I were honeymooning in Barcelona and we were there a few days before you were. I want an apartment there too. Loved it!