Saturday, September 25, 2010

Shoe Bedazzle: Before and After

I'm sure my male readers will really love this post...

When I started looking for wedding shoes, my main concern was comfort. Given that the shoes may not even make a single appearance during the evening (because they'll be hidden under my gahorgeous dress) it seemed silly to spend a lot of cash on super fancy footwear.

I wandered into DSW one day, and when I saw these cute comfy beigey-gold little slippers, I thought they might be exactly what I needed. I already had a pair like them in black—so I knew they were comfy. And it seemed like they could be easily embellished with elements that would match my jewelry and dress. (Plus they were only about $30. Score.)



I sewed one pearl on them above before deciding I might need to snap a pre-makeover picture. As you can see, they're sort of a brushed silk type fabric and are completely flat—which should help my dogs from barking too much at the end of our reception.



I used some leftover Swarovski pearls and crystals I'd purchased to make wedding jewelry (that's another post) and spent the evening sewing everything into place.



I think they turned out pretty cute, and will serve me and my toesies quite well on the dance floor!

12 comments:

Mandy_Fish said...

Very cute!

Anonymous said...

I always get a little nervous when people are inspired to bedazzle. :) I must say, those look great. Nice work!

Hannah said...

Super Cute! and pretty.
I did ballet slippers for mine. I was so happy with that choice. You will be too.

Jeff said...

I don't even like sports, and yet suddenly I feel the need to talk about football.

Sizzle said...

What a great idea! They turned out super cute, crafty lady.

Natalie said...

I have those shoes and love them, but yours are so much cuter!

Danielle said...

Those look perfect and comfy! Good job!

megabrooke said...

they're perfect!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

You sure are one smart bride ... nothing better than comfy toes on your wedding day. And, comfy toes that are bejeweled and adorable? Bonus!

Bretthead said...

I'll ask Will what he thinks and get back to you - he is the fancy women's shoes expert.

Melissa Maris said...

Mandy - Thank you. And thanks for inspiring the title of the post. ;)

Anonymous - I'm totally with you. I'm not usually a fan of bedazzling, and was fully prepared to rip out all of the stitches here if they looked like crap.

Hannah - Thanks, doll. Slippers make so much sense to me. Who really wants to be hobbling around with sore feet all night when there's so much more to be thinking about?!

Jeff - Haha I'm sorry I momentarily diminished your (extensive) manliness.

Sizzle - Thanks. :) The first one was really fun to make. The second one felt like work. Oh the woes of a crafter...

Natalie - Haha thanks! I have a pair in black and totally love them, so I'm hopeful these will work great on the big day.

Danielle - Thanks, Miss Mama. :)

Brookem - I hope so!

Nilsa - Hopefully all the beads don't come flying off when I'm doing white-man's-overbite on the dance floor. :P

Wow TWA - I would LOVE Will's opinion. He's a smart little dude. But don't be surprised if he asks you for a pair after seeing them. ;)

Big Sister said...

My, my Martha Stewart! I wonder what your wedding undies are going to look like!