Monday, July 18, 2011

Nothing Satisfies Quite Like the Real Deal


I eat dark chocolate almost every day.

I keep a stash in my desk drawer and peel into it in the late afternoon, pretending I'm just out to get my fill of antioxidants. But really, I just want the chocolate fix.

I've tried substituting other things. Fruit. Almonds. Cottage cheese. Milk chocolate. Which usually just leaves me eating more and more to try to fill the original craving. Nothing is as good as a little square of the dark.

But what if all my dark chocolate was out of the country for 7 weeks? How would I hit the 75% cacao spot in my stomach?

I suppose I would schedule as many activities as I could and start a million craft projects for my Etsy store and try to finally get my chocolate-eating butt in gear when it came to writing. At night I would lie in bed, missing the chocolate. I would get up and hike the next morning with an apple or a graham cracker and feel reasonably satisfied, but not fully.

I would drink wine alone on the couch, remembering times chocolate had been there with me, laughing over a mishap on Iron Chef. I would tend all the vegetables in the backyard, wishing chocolate was around to give me a little energy boost.

I would see movies with friends but think about having chocolate's hand intertwined in mine during the film.

All the distractions in the world couldn't quiet the chocolate yearning. Which is why it's going to be so hard to go without him for the next 7 weeks while he's in London working on that damn movie again.

8 comments:

HunnerWoof said...

I have to admit...I'm lost on this one. Did you marry a Black man when I wasn't looking?

Melissa Maris said...

Hunner - I think you would know if that happened! I was just rambling about the parallel between wanting one thing and trying to substitute other things in its place.

If I want dark chocolate, a peanut butter cookie just won't do.

If I want to spend time with Mr. W over the next 7 weeks, I'm stuck trying to quench the craving with friend and family time.

One just doesn't make up for the other!

Mandy_Fish said...

I was going to comment, but now I can't stop laughing at HunnerWoof's comment.

I will now refer to Mr. Wonderful as "Sexual Chocolate" from now on.

Sizzle said...

YUM. I love dark chocolate the mostest.

Melissa Maris said...

Mandy - Thank you for posting that - I read it right after saying goodbye to him and it made me crack up through my tears. :)

Sizzle - Right? And it has antioxidants so it's good for you!!

Anonymous said...

Man, I sure hope Dark Chocolate isn't aware that you're spending so much time with Fruit, Almonds, Cottage Cheese and Milk Chocolate while he's away...

Jane Moneypenny said...

Wah, I can't keep up with your exciting life and 2 blogs!

Maybe I need some dark chocolate...

7 weeks! Tell yourself it's a vacation and you can do everything you've been putting it off (spoken like a true single girl).

Big Sister said...

You could come over to our house. We're more like cheap Russell Stovers, but we would like to hang out with your more, while you are on your dark chocolate fast. We are BFF's you know.....