Sunday, November 11, 2007

Put an End to the Manscaping Madness

When I was in my teens and early twenties, the idea of a hairy man-chest coming into contact with any part of my body was a possibility I found quite horrifying. I wanted a smooth, pretty boy who had no similarities to Burt Reynolds, Magnum P.I. or my grandpa. But with each passing year, it seems the hairy-manly-man pendulum swings further and further in the other direction.

At 31, I now find a hairy chest and a bit of scruff very sexy. Unfortunately, with the rise of metrosexuality, I'm afraid my newfound affinity for ruggedness may become harder and harder to come by.

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that guys should all grow unibrows and let their nose hair go wild. I'm just worried that male beauty is becoming too prevalent. And I don't think I like it...

Would a waxed and coiffed beauty king really be able to protect me in a dark alley? Or would he be too afraid to mess up his MANicure? This is something to think about... And if a guy shaves his legs or chest, does that mean I need to be more diligent about shaving my legs and armpits? It seems like there's potential for some pressure there.

I would like to see a metro backlash take place (at least among the single men in Los Angeles). No more highlighted hair or clear nailpolish. I'd like to see men bring on the burliness and let women know they're rough around the edges in the best possible way. It'll make me feel better about those sketchy, dimly lit side streets and may make my legs feel better about 3 days' worth of stubble.

No comments: