Tuesday, November 11, 2008

365 Days

About 13 months and 10 days ago, I met a boy online. He was cute and witty and smart. He lived in a part of town I love. He worked in a creative industry. He made me laugh. He enjoyed running. He liked U2.

But he was leaving town on vacation and didn’t want to meet me in person until he came back.

So I waited. For five and a half weeks.

We emailed each other daily, and the anticipation of seeing him face-to-face was like nothing I’d ever experienced. Those last several days were complete torture. But there was a part of me that was terrified of our first encounter—what if we didn’t get along? What if he had some big weird mole on his ear with hair growing out of it? What if he wore floodpants and t-shirts with tigers on them?

I had to work hard to keep myself in check as I got ready for the big night.

We agreed to meet for fondue at The Melting Pot. As usual, I was running a smidge late, so I called to tell him I was almost to the parking garage. As the phone rang on my end, I watched a guy on the sidewalk answer his.

“I think I can see you,” I said. “Turn around and look at the Prius behind you.”

Suddenly everything went into slow motion. He turned to look over his shoulder, his black coat framing his face, and all I could see was a dimple cupping the side of his smile. My stomach did a triple axle. He was hot.

I couldn’t park the car fast enough.

We got inside and when our waiter jokingly said, “First date?” Mr. Wonderful replied with, “No, we’ve been married five years.”

I couldn’t help but wonder if someday that would be true…

After dinner, we didn’t kiss goodnight. But he teased me the next day on IM, telling me he knew I wanted to. He could just tell.

Later that week, he came to my house to make dinner and dessert. Chicken Marsala and chocolate soufflé. If the incredible meal was a ploy to get that kiss, it worked. Halfway through showing me his vacation pictures, he pulled me into his tractor beam and convinced me to make out with him for the next several hours.

I knew after that, I was toast.

I worked hard over the next seven months, biting my tongue every time he did something cute. Every time he looked at me with those sleepy eyes. Or grabbed my hand and kissed it while he was driving. I bit my tongue, because all I wanted to do was yell, “I LOVE YOU!!”, and I knew that might frighten the pants off him. (Not that I mind him being sans pants…)

In May, I crumbled. And he followed.

Today marks our one-year anniversary. It’s not just a measure of the days we’ve spent together, but a benchmark for one of the happiest years of my life.

This wonderful guy has made me smile more; indulge in the pleasures of wine and food and adventure more; try things I might not have tried without him (like riding a motorcycle and eating inari). He has been a patient teacher and laid-back travel companion. An amazing boyfriend but also a true friend.

After 365 days of having him in my life, I cannot come to any conclusion other than this: I am the luckiest girl in the world.

Happy 1-year, sweetpea.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! Happy Anniversary!

Jenn Martinson said...

You guys are so cute. I'd hate you if I didn't like you so much!

Anonymous said...

awwww....congratulations! hope you are doing something fun to celebrate!!

Bretthead said...

You big sap. :)

So floodpants and t-shirts with tigers on them aren't cool? Shit.

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was the sweetest post ever! =) Happy Anni!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Now, this is one of those posts that makes me all giddy inside! I met my (now husband) Sweets online, too. And we didn't kiss on our first date, either. And, well ... good things do come to those who wait! Yay for you!!!

Anita said...

Your post put a tear in my eye and warmth in my heart. I'm so glad you found the happiness you deserve. Cheers to you and Mr. W for many many MANY more years to come. :)

PS - and God bless the internet for making stories like this happen.

Melissa Maris said...

JustRun - Thanks :).

Coconut Diaries - Haha don't worry I'm sure we won't be as cute by the 730 Days post!

Laura - Thanks! We're going to our favorite wine bar tonight to recreate the first time he got me liquored up. :P

Wow TWA - Please send me a picture of yourself in floodpants and a tiger shirt. Thanks. :)

Little Miss - :) Thank you!

Nilsa - I don't think I knew you two met online! You're right - waiting is a wonderful thing.

Anita - You're so cute! And very right - what would we do without the Internet?!

Emily said...

Aw...shucks... :'-)

Anonymous said...

This is so damn sweet I can hardly stand it.

Anonymous said...

You totally brought tears to me eyes. I'm so glad that you are happy. I hope you have many more years of happiness with Mr. W.

Sizzle said...

What a wonderful story. Here's to many more chapters of happiness!

Melissa Maris said...

Emily - You'll be writing something like this one day, my dear.

Lara - Haha thanks. :)

Poopypants - No crying! They say the honeymoon only lasts two years, so I've gotta enjoy it while I can. :P Thank goodness the worst year of my life was followed by the best one...

Sizzle - Thank you! I thought the same thing when I read your Anniversary post about Fella.

Alysha said...

Happy Anniversary! One thing - you always a bit late, am I really on the right blog - I was quite sure that you are generally 5 minutes early... I am so happy that you are so happy and I really like Mr. W. Its wonderful when you approve of a friends happiness.

jen tarara said...

I love the chronicles of Melissa. Your wedding will be so much fun! :)

patsy said...

happy anniversary!

megabrooke said...

aww, i love that story.
so happy for you missy.

Anonymous said...

aw happy anniversary even if it's a bit late :) i stumbled upon your blog from blog secret and i'm going to add you to my reader :) hope you don't mind!