Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Beauty of a Staycation


The big, fat Internet company I work for threw us a nice juicy bone this past weekend when they gave us not only Monday but Tuesday off for the 4th of July.

Mr. Wonderful and I debated on whether we should take advantage of my free holiday and go on a trip somewhere, but the idea of not packing, not getting travel weary, and cleaning out the garage (note: garage cleaning is NOT vacationary AT ALL) appealed to me more. So a staycation it was!

Rather than just hang around the house and catch up on chorebies (sometimes even hobbies feel like chores...) we brainstormed some ways to spice things up. When Mr. W proposed the idea of visiting the LA County Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, I was sold. We've always been big fans of those sorts of places.

We loved strolling the gardens of Paris in 2009.


And we dug Kew Gardens outside of Richmond in the UK.


The Arboretum definitely satisfied our European garden appetite. Visit 'S Wonderful to check out some of the cool pictures we took while we were there:

http://ourlifeofwonderful.blogspot.com/2011/07/all-this-and-they-filmed-fantasy-island.html

6 comments:

Sizzle said...

I had Tuesday off too. The only bad news about that was that I had to return to work at all.

Anonymous said...

You both had FOUR day weekends? Are you trying to make us all jealous??? ;)

Janee Lookerse said...

Lovely! My hubby proposed in the San Diego gardens :)

xoxo
Janee
yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

Melissa Maris said...

Sizz - Tell me about it...

Geekhiker - Mr. W has every day weekends these days - he hasn't been in an office since before our wedding. So we should ALL be jealous of him!

Janee - Thanks for visiting my site! I haven't been to t he San Diego gardens but I've heard they're very cool.

Janice MacLeod said...

I'm generally a fan of the staycation. Mostly so I can pee at home.

Melissa Maris said...

Janice - Hahaha I think I remember talking about the finding-bathrooms-in-public annoyance when we were in Italy.